 Trains / 29628
  A power rail idea

OK, so 9V is dead. Not a happy thought. Still, the engineer in me can't help but think about ways to work within the new regime. After 40 years of off-and-on model rail and toy train activity, the first thought that comes to mind is that anyone who (...) (17 years ago, 14-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A power rail idea

(...) Sounds like a new and improved 12-volt system. It does eliminate one of the three problems that I felt the 12-volt system had; reverse polarity in turn-abouts. The biggest problem the 12-volt system had was that it was never avalable here in (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A power rail idea

With all the advances in battery (rechargeable and otherwise) technology these days, you might be a little shortsighted in your estimation of the feasibility of battery trains. But assuming you are correct, my biggest concern about this idea is the (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A power rail idea

(...) When I see somebody set up a public exhibition and run trains from 10 AM to 6 PM using batteries, and not give more than passing thought to battery management, then batteries will have arrived. (:holds breath:)...... ....... ....... *pshewwww* (...) (17 years ago, 15-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A power rail idea

(...) Not a bad idea. However, I used to have a decent layout in the 70's (my Dark Ages) using the 12V system, which is not too far from what you are proposing. It would require Lego to come up with new parts, including a complicated switch. Also, I (...) (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A power rail idea

(...) A not quite as eloquent but easier to realize-on-a-small-scale solution would be using n-gauge track for power conduction up the middle of the all plastic L-gauge track (yes, with even more of the unsightly drawbacks and eliminating the (...) (17 years ago, 17-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A power rail idea

(...) Actually, you'll see I more-or-less suggested that as a method for prototyping the functionality. Or as a last resort if we get desperate in the future. But you can get "polarity immunity" by offsetting the N (or H0, or whatever size works) (...) (17 years ago, 18-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)