 Trains / 29573
29572  |  29574
Subject:
Jupiter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:24:12 GMT

On May 10, 1869 a famous meeting took place between two locomotives at Promotory Point, Utah, at the Golden Spike Ceremony which celebrated the completion of the First Transcontinental Railroad over the United States. These two locomotives were Union Pacific’s #119 and Central Pacific’s #60, better known as The Jupiter.

After I came up with a few color options for my American 4-4-0 steam engine, one of which I said was like ‘Jupiter’, I went back to look at the famous locomotive and found I was very off. So I decided to rework my 4-4-0 to see what it would look like if it really did resemble ‘Jupiter.’

A few differences besides color - added accent to the boiler nose, added plate height and accent to the pistons, added height to the rear of the boiler to match the original locomotive, removal of one of the three boiler domes.

--Tony