 Trains / 29525
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:26:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.lego, Eric Kingsley wrote:

Even a robust, rechargable battery
system has considerable limitations.

Absolutely. So does powering the system through the rails, actually - in order
to control multiple trains you need carefully isolated sections of track (which
LEGO never made in the first place) and rigorous control, as well as booster
stations along the line to account for the voltage drop, etc. Heck, if there's a
rechargable system based on the PF, I could see the possibility of an NXT using
the Hitechnic IRLink to automate engine switching as the batteries flag... and
if you add custom metal wheels and a single piece of old 9V track or similar,
and automated recharging station. Here the biggest limitation would be the
number of channels (8 channels in the current PF system would imply only 8
motors under independant control before conflicts). Heck, picture a PF-driven
train with one motor controling the motion (forward back, but perhaps not with
speed control... another drawback), and a second powering a power pick-up off
the side of a car to drive loading or unloading stations, trip points, etc. Or
you might be able to use the two PW motor sugnals to drive an IC to have true
PWM control of the train motor power level.

I guess this means a change of direction for the whole 9vtrains.com
domain.  "Save" doesn't really seem to fit anymore does it?  I want to find
another way to support the community, if anyone has in idea on how I can
transform what has been built in terms of functionality for save 9vtrains
into something that has value for the community please let me know.

Note that when the robotics folks really wanted new sensors, well... they made
them. And some folks got so good at making them that not only did they start
small buisnesses, but that later those buisnesses were recognized by LEGO and
asked to participate in the next round of design for the robotics platform.
Understand that I think custom designing stuff to try to get into the LEGO
development process is foolish... but developing the system you want, with the
features you feel you need, and cladding it in LEGO might be an ideal use for
the energy swirling around the 9V stuff.

If you want RF control - do it. Same for high-capacity batteries, power-pickups
to continuously recharge trains on a siding, automation of accessories, etc. You
do it for wheels now (Ben), and lots of folks have hacked digital control into
the train motors and controled them with the RCX... where do you want to go? Go
there.

--
Brian Davis