 Trains / 28783
Re: Hail to the Chief!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:58:21 GMT

I’ve finally muddled my way through the build. I am not sure if I am the only person who has built this particular model, so I figured I’d leave my input.

Overall the thing looks awesome. It is big....significantly larger than the Santa Fe from Lego.

The undercarriage is a little flimsy. I will likely rip it apart and rebuild it. The way that it ends up in the build is that there are only a few studs that hold the technic plate that the rear bogie connects to onto the remainder of the loco.

The motor cannot mount where designed because there is a 2x4 ble plate directly above the hole you are supposed to use. I’ll have to rework this area.

The detail on the front of the motor doesn’t work. As designed (at least as best as I can tell from the directions) the wheels would rub against the top two 2x3 angled plates. I had to improvise here.

The instructions, as have been noted, are...umm...interesting. It would have taken me significantly less time to build if I didn’t have to flip back and forth to find out what bricks actually connect the floating brick I have to add in step X. Come to find out you actually add those bricks in at step X+30. Not a fault of the designer of this model, but annoying none the less.

I really enjoyed this build, and the outcome, except for one major annoyance (besides the instructions). I was missing almost a dozen pieces!! Interestingly, they were all 1x4 plates (6 in light gray, 5 in blue, and 1 in dary gray). I substituted pieces for now, and have requested the missing ones from Lego as I don’t have very much of the new grays or blue plates. On the other hand, unless I missed some things, it appears I’ve ended up with about a dozen extra pieces as well (none of them even closely related to the ones I am missing, hopefully meaning I put the thing together right).

Thanks again for a great design. I can’t wait to get it on the rails!! Chuck