 Trains / 26683
MOC: Danish IC4 passenger train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.loc.dk
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:00:02 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hey,

My latest creation is the new Danish IC4 intercity train. The Danish State Railways (DSB) has ordered 84 train units from Italian company Ansaldo Breda, but so far the delivery has been delayed by more than a year for various reasons. This delay, along with poorly maintained tracks, outdated signalling systems and old rolling stock, turned 2005 into a disaster for the railway authorities and operators. The government has promised to increase funds dramatically, but you can’t really make up for 20 years of neglect over night. It can only get better in 2006 and we hope to see the IC4 up and running sometimes later this year.

Anyway, so much for the update on Danish railways, back to the model which is my first 8-wide in a long time. It features four cars (one low floor), two 9V engines and closed couplings. The total length is 150 studs (4 feet or 120 cm). Click the image to go to the Brickshelf folder.

Details on the construction of the front can be seen here. It’s really quite simple, so is the rest of the design. The tilted roof is kept in position by rubber bands, it works fine.

The design of the closed coupling is very simple and ordinary using rubber bands and a “moving” pivot point. I’ve rounded the ends of the cars to make the “interaction” between the cars more smooth in curves, it works well in practice, see this movie. More pictures of the coupling and movies of the train running in the folder.

Reference pictures of the first IC4 train doing test runs in Denmark can be found in this folder (which doesn’t seem to get moderated ever...). Older reference pictures here

That’s all. Please let me know what you think!

See you,

Esben

Copenhagen, Denmark