 Trains / 26486

Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:36:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Barnes wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Derek Lim wrote:

Forgive me if it has been covered before, but the primary question I'd like to
ask is whether TLC will continue to produce the old 9v track and 9v motors - and
then, if so, will new sets be released based on those old units?

I feel compelled to ask; do you really mean "sets" or do you mean supplies of
track, switches, 9v train motors, wheel sets and buffer beams, and perhaps track
connecting wires and controllers?

JB

I suppose (and it would have made more sense to check your reply before adding
my other one - I'm splitting my own train of thought here) that the new IR base
length makes it harder for LEGO to produce a new engine that can sell on its own
(like the Super Chief) that doesn't contain an IR unit.

And it also makes a small engine impossible.  This is for kids, right?  Kids who
are supposed to grow up with Duplo Thomas?

Jason Railton

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:

I suppose (and it would have made more sense to check your reply before adding
my other one - I'm splitting my own train of thought here) that the new IR base
length makes it harder for LEGO to produce a new engine that can sell on its own
(like the Super Chief) that doesn't contain an IR unit.

And it also makes a small engine impossible.  This is for kids, right?  Kids who
are supposed to grow up with Duplo Thomas?

Agreed! I posted earlier that this 30 stud base totally wipes out all those cool
Thomas and little trolley models. (Which, incidently, are amongst the most
popular items we (LUCNY) run around the tracks at shows per visitor requests.)
Even the Hogwarts model will not be able to be replicated with the new system!

JB

[...]

Surely for a Thomas train, if you make the bogie versions, Annie or Clarabel
could use the IR unit baseplate?
http://www.pegnsean.net/~railwayseries/annieclarabel.htm  Then Thomas could be
made using BBB wheels and he could have working rods too.

I think it will be possible to bury the new IR unit in an 8 or wider engine,
possibly to use it for remote controlled lights or auxiliary motors (crane
drive?), with electric wheeled 9V train motors driving.

The new 9V train motor can be used at the back of the train (with a wire to the
other train motors) to reduce drag on the curves, whilst still allowing an
electrical dead section of track (isolated with insulating tape between metal
rail joints) to be not much longer than the engine.  This assumes a train at a
show that is not regularly rearranged of course.

If a new train set like the Santa Fe loco were created with a plain 30-stud long
base and spaces in the right places, it would be possible for it to be used with
either system.  For the new system the fuel tank would be discarded.  There
would still be the question of which motor frame parts to include though - ones
with holes for the new motor or studs for the existing one.

Mark

Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)
Surely for a Thomas train, if you make the bogie versions, Annie or Clarabel
could use the IR unit baseplate?
http://www.pegnsean.net/~railwayseries/annieclarabel.htm  Then Thomas could be
made using BBB wheels and he could have working rods too.

Hear, hear, those four wheeled Annie and Clarabels are a travesty created by the
TV series ;-)

I think it will be possible to bury the new IR unit in an 8 or wider engine,
possibly to use it for remote controlled lights or auxiliary motors (crane
drive?), with electric wheeled 9V train motors driving.

<SNIP>

There
would still be the question of which motor frame parts to include though - ones
with holes for the new motor or studs for the existing one.

I think the 'with holes' one, Its backward compatible even if it doesn't look as
good.
Tim

Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)
Surely for a Thomas train, if you make the bogie versions, Annie or Clarabel
could use the IR unit baseplate?
http://www.pegnsean.net/~railwayseries/annieclarabel.htm  Then Thomas could be
made using BBB wheels and he could have working rods too.

Hear, hear, those four wheeled Annie and Clarabels are a travesty created by the
TV series ;-)

Ok, I'm a bit confused. Annie and Clarabel are SUPPOSED to be longer, 4-axle
cars?

Russell
BayLTC

Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)
Surely for a Thomas train, if you make the bogie versions, Annie or Clarabel
could use the IR unit baseplate?
http://www.pegnsean.net/~railwayseries/annieclarabel.htm  Then Thomas could be
made using BBB wheels and he could have working rods too.

Hear, hear, those four wheeled Annie and Clarabels are a travesty created by the
TV series ;-)

Ok, I'm a bit confused. Annie and Clarabel are SUPPOSED to be longer, 4-axle
cars?

Russell
BayLTC

Yeah, in the original books by the Rev. W Audrey they pretty were much as in the
top picture in the link Mark included, with a composite (1st and 3rd class) and
a brake coach (for the Guard (Conducter in US speak)and luggage). When the first
TV series was produced they were changed to four wheelers for no apparent reason
(with no Guards accomodation, definatly against the regulations!) All susequent
appearances of Annie and Clarabel have followed this format.
A search on the web reveals a definate paucity of original Thomas imagary

Tim

[...]

30 studs would be very long for Annie and Clarabel - I was thinking of trying an
MOT 24-stud baseplate.  After all, they must have some use (other than a
Palethorpe's Pork Sausage three-axle van of course).

Maybe you could get away with BBB wheels for Thomas at your scale, but I doubt
it would work 6-wide - it'd make the total wheelbase far too long for a start.
You couldn't overlap flanged and blind drivers when the axle spacing is fixed by
the motor.

Jason Railton

Re: Some more infos on new trains (they were partly presented in Frechen/Germany)