 Trains / 25781
Re: An idea concerning the new RC trains and a new RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:19:36 GMT

Bryan Bonahoom wrote:
Well - I am not thrilled with your references to the train as "el cheapo".  Lego
is a company that has to make money (the whole point of a company).  They are
making new trains in a direction that will make the train more affordable to a
larger audience.  I distinctly remember Lego Execs stating that the existing
metal railed track will NOT be discontinued when they were at Brickfest.  So, I
suggest you look at this as a new product that you might not be interested in
instead of flinging around terms like "el cheapo".
Well, the term was not my idea, several people in this very newsgroup
invented this more or less simultaneously, and, as the new gauge is
designed to be chaeper than the other gauge, they are not totally wrong,
are they?

That being said - yes it would be neat if the RC train ran on bluetooth...I
could control the train from my Blackberry  :)
That would be another example of the usefullness.

The thing is, an RCX is probably not very size compatible for a train, and in a
next generation RCX, I would expect more I/O which certainly wouldn't reduce its
size any...a neat idea nonetheless.
I was not talking about putting an RCX on a train. The train motors
would have to have a simple, Bluetooth compatible receiver, nothing more.

An RCX could e.g. be put into a building and control the train and other
devices and react to different sources of input. Imagine signals
controlled by the RCX, a touch sensor sensing the approach of a train
and stopping it if the signal is set to "stop", something like that.
Quite endless possibilities!

Yours, Christian