 Trains / 21931
Re: 7 wide rolling stock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:31:56 GMT

I am a bit surprised that noone have responded yet, cause it is really great
work.

Mostly I like the cars, the passenger car is just great, it gives me some ideas
for a project I once stopped. Minimum use of parts which gives plenty of room in
the car, as well as the smoot look of it. The lenght of the car is also great.
Have you considered an open place for the window in the through-way between
cars? Looks funny with grey bricks in there :-)

The live-stock car is also a source for inspiration!

Sonnich

In lugnet.trains, Mike Kollross wrote:
I'm hooked on 7 wide.
I thought I would try a passenger car in the VIA rail colors.  Its a little
big... 56 studs in total.  It still handles a 180 turn but it hangs over the
inside of the track.

I used SNOT'd 1x4x5 windows for the majority of the glass with the odd train
window thrown in (also SNOT'd)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widepass01.jpg

7 wide allows for passengers seated on both sides of the car with a 1 stud
aisle.

The 4 wide doors are centered on the 7 wide chasis using technic bricks and 1x2
modified bricks with pin.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widepass03.jpg

A view of the construction.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widepass04.jpg

A view of the SNOT techniques used for the windows.  Where the bottoms came
together and at the ends I used 1x1 modified bricks with studs on all sides.
Where the windows came together stud to stud I used 1x1 technic bricks and 1x2
technic bricks with two holes.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widepass05.jpg

The second project is a stock car and was a lot simpler to build and is just a 6
wide model I built earlier converted to 7 wide.  Its 36 studes in length.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widestock01.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widestock02.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widestock03.jpg

Please let me know what you think.