 Trains / 21908
21907  |  21909
Subject:
7 wide rolling stock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:31:41 GMT

I'm hooked on 7 wide.
I thought I would try a passenger car in the VIA rail colors.  Its a little
big... 56 studs in total.  It still handles a 180 turn but it hangs over the
inside of the track.

I used SNOT'd 1x4x5 windows for the majority of the glass with the odd train
window thrown in (also SNOT'd)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widepass01.jpg

7 wide allows for passengers seated on both sides of the car with a 1 stud
aisle.

The 4 wide doors are centered on the 7 wide chasis using technic bricks and 1x2
modified bricks with pin.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widepass03.jpg

A view of the construction.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widepass04.jpg

A view of the SNOT techniques used for the windows.  Where the bottoms came
together and at the ends I used 1x1 modified bricks with studs on all sides.
Where the windows came together stud to stud I used 1x1 technic bricks and 1x2
technic bricks with two holes.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widepass05.jpg

The second project is a stock car and was a lot simpler to build and is just a 6
wide model I built earlier converted to 7 wide.  Its 36 studes in length.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widestock01.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widestock02.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/7widestock03.jpg

Please let me know what you think.