 Trains / 20192
Re: DCC for the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 19:51:42 GMT

I'm no electronics engineer by any stretch--

A diode, iirc, allows DC current to 'flow thru' in only one direction.  What
would a diode do across the output on the top of the train motor?  And why would
one be good for 'inductive' loads such as a LEGO motor?

I like learning--use small words so i unnerstand please :)

Dave K

The problem with inductive load is that when current is interrupted, they
generate large voltage spikes with reverse polarity. The diode absorbs these
spikes and avoids destroying the driver...

Philo