 Trains / 17843
Re: NALUG takes 1st place at GEmTS 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 01:31:45 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:
Steve,

What is this area?

looks like a control system, could you explain it some?

It is a control system. :)  There is a flex-tube map of the entire layout,
with red clips to show breaks in power zones (electrical isolation) and
yellow clips to show switches.  Each of the yellow switches is numbered, and
there is a row of numbered buttons along the top.  Push the button and use
the built-in controller to indicate a direction, and the motorized switch
out on the layout changes.

All 23 switches on the layout were wired into the panel, and most of them
worked quite reliably, although a few did give us trouble.  (of course, the
ones giving us trouble were the ones hardest to reach.)  The sidings on the
'rail yard' side that saw the most use were the most reliable, and I don't
believe needed any tweaking all weekend (though I may be wrong).

I also believe (but am not sure) that we are the first club to have our
entire layout wired for a single central operator.

We did notice some problems with it, mainly that from our panel, roughly 1/3
the layout wasn't visible, and our labeling was inadequate.  For some
reason, not everyone was able to read my mind and figure it out! :)

thanks,

James