 Trains / 16852
    GMLTC Update —John Kelly III
   Two pieces of news. [1] Our Fargo show went very well. Pictures and recap can be found at (URL) I was not friendly to low bandwidth connections, my pardons. We are getting ready to revamp the website so I didn't spend a great deal of time with (...) (22 years ago, 8-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: GMLTC Update —Josh Baakko
     (...) I'm gonna see if I can be there for this one, too see that train layout! If I can is allright if I show up with a few trains too? I'll probly only be able to be there one day, cause I'd be there with family. (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: GMLTC Update —John Kelly III
      Absolutely. We love to run guest trains. -john (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: GMLTC Update —Josh Baakko
     Do you have Directions? I still need to talk to my family members there to see if they'll bring us... BUT if they will I'll try to show up early so that it can run for a while! Hopefully they can drop me off & come back later in the day & get me, (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: GMLTC Update —John Kelly III
     Sure, I just pull directions from the website. from : (URL) & Hours of the Jackson Street Roundhouse The Jackson Street Roundhouse is located north of the Minnesota State Capitol. Take the Pennsylvania Ave. exit off of I35E. Go west two blocks to (...) (22 years ago, 21-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: GMLTC Update —Josh Baakko
     Well I'll be there! I'll TRY to wear a Marines Shirt,& I'll be carrying a blue tub! Just so you can pick me out! Josh (22 years ago, 25-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: GMLTC Update —John Gerlach
     (...) Here are a couple more pictures, now that I've unloaded from my digital camera. Dan Siskind's lighthouse, sitting prominently on the corner of the layout: (URL) link: (URL) the inside corner of that module sits a graveyard. We will eventually (...) (22 years ago, 14-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: GMLTC Update —James Trobaugh
   John, How is this trolly running? (URL) it being powered by the track? If so how is it wired to not short out and to go in the reverse direction when it comes around the loop? Or is it RCX controled? Very nice look no matter how you did it. jt (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: GMLTC Update —John Kelly III
   James- Mr. Gerlach is quite clever. He has the loop powered in three sections with light sensors to grab the trolley location for the RCX. It was working alright at the Roundhouse, but it had some trouble in the direct light of the Fargo show. The (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: GMLTC Update —John Gerlach
   (...) I need to invest in some reed sensors to detect the magnets as they go by, the light sensors are just too unreliable under the different lighting conditions. Anyone know a good place to purchase some RCX-compatible reed sensors? "Clever"... (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: GMLTC Update —Jason J. Railton
     (...) Fairly easy to make your own: 1. Cut a 1m cable in half. 2. Take one half and shorten one of the two wires at the end by two inches. 3. Solder a reed switch to the ends so it lies along the cable. 4. Put some heat shrink over it all. 5. (...) (22 years ago, 20-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: GMLTC Update —John Gerlach
     (...) You make it sound so easy... <grin> Do you have to orient it a certain direction? Knowing my luck I'd install it upside down or something... JohnG, GMLTC (22 years ago, 22-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: GMLTC Update —Jason J. Railton
     (...) It's not too hard. I'm rubbish at soldering - I always overheat things. This worked fairly well though. Heat shrink is easy to use too - just bring it near heat like a haridryer, lighter, or cooker hob to tighten it. You have to lay the reed (...) (22 years ago, 23-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: GMLTC Update —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) John Barnes/HiTechnic? He was showing off a lot of his wares at BF. (URL) that his "train sensor" is a light sensor, basically, but set to point directly up so that train shadow activates it. It's only a plate and a tile high though. Also (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: GMLTC Update —Jason J. Railton
   (...) There could be a problem using these on that return loop. It's all curves, and this sensor looks like it has a rectangular 2x4 plate between the sleepers so it'll only fit on straights. Perhaps there's time for a quick design change John? (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: GMLTC Update —John Gerlach
     (...) Unfortunately, due to the way the GMLTC builds modules, there really isn't such a thing as a "quick design change" on our layout... I was looking at some small reed switches at a surplus store this past weekend, I might splurge (around a (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: GMLTC Update —Jason J. Railton
     (...) Oops - too many Johns. I meant John Barnes might be able to shave a bit off the lower plate so that it'll fit on a curve. Jason J Railton (22 years ago, 23-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: GMLTC Update —John Kelly III
   The other part that pains me is the scrape the brick. I'm thinking that since we're building down 20-30 some bricks we can find a way to do this without needing to alter bricks. Haven't thought it all the way through, but for me that would need to (...) (22 years ago, 22-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)