 Trains / 16936
Re: GMLTC Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:21:41 GMT

The other part that pains me is the scrape the brick.  I'm thinking that
since we're building down 20-30 some bricks we can find a way to do this
without needing to alter bricks.  Haven't thought it all the way through,
but for me that would need to be a necessary alteration.  *grin*

-john 3

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Kelly III writes:
James-

Mr. Gerlach is quite clever.  He has the loop powered in three sections with
light sensors to grab the trolley location for the RCX.  It was working
alright at the Roundhouse, but it had some trouble in the direct light of
the Fargo show.  The light sensors were just overwhelmed.

I need to invest in some reed sensors to detect the magnets as they go by,
the light sensors are just too unreliable under the different lighting
conditions.  Anyone know a good place to purchase some RCX-compatible reed
sensors?

John Barnes/HiTechnic? He was showing off a lot of his wares at BF.

http://www.hitechnic.com/

Note that his "train sensor" is a light sensor, basically, but set to point
directly up so that train shadow activates it. It's only a plate and a tile
high though.

Also Chris Phillips has made a number of these for NELUG...

There could be a problem using these on that return loop.  It's all curves,
and this sensor looks like it has a rectangular 2x4 plate between the
sleepers so it'll only fit on straights.  Perhaps there's time for a quick
design change John?

Jason J Railton