 Trains / 15935
Re: wheelset ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 04:24:33 GMT

John wrote:

That's a clever design, Chris-- I like it!  But as you know, now you've got
a whole new set of issues with which to deal;-)

I've pretty much completed a set of 5 articulated double stack container
cars, and I opted to use the 2x2 turntable instead of a pin config for
articulation.  *That* would instantly drop you a plate.   I'm working 8
wide and so I might have a little more room with which to work....

A question off the bat-- can you mount your 2x2 with pins one plate lower
on the wheel?  I know that your 2x3 with a hole plate will bind, but maybe
not before the point is moot.  That would also save you a plate instantly--
a lot easier than building your own bettendorf side frames from scratch,
although the exercise sounds intriguing...:-)

I believe my method drops even further than what can be gained from the
turntable approarch.  Furthermore, if you look closely at most types of
spine cars the wheels seem more exposed that what is offered by the LEGO
wheelsets.  I've gotten a few ideas via email on this.  I'm going to try
them out soon.

-chris

ps. this is an eightwide model John, you should learn to recognize your
own kind. :)  although the old version is six-wide.