 Trains / 13553
Re: Digital Controls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 03:58:53 GMT

I've been reading the info on the Digitrax website. Some nice stuff.
Some confusing still but I'm figuring it out. I think the 1 to 9999
range on the decoders is so you can put the train's number into the
system. VERY COOL!

Yep.  I have a loco # 1021 (figure that one out-hint, the clocks), and then
2500/2510,

The 25's are my pair of class 25 diesels-they have the special wiring setup for
operation of the brake vans.  Being able to number in any series of 4 digit
addresses is useful, but I still need a cheat sheet for even 5 locos-I cannot
always remember which loco is which, and crashing them is just TOO easy to do
otherwise.

Yes, I've been there, I'll call them on current pricing.

(mention that you belong to a railway club- over here, I could help, but I
suspect that they will believe you if you say you are a member of VanLUG- they
give a discount)

I think you picked the best starter set. It's upgradeable and has some
very cool features.

Yep.  I don't think I will want to run 22 or more trains, and it has all that I
need it to do. Since that would be the only reason to go with the Chief, I
think that the Empire Builder II is a better choice.

Decoders-DN121 Digitrax,

I think the DN142 with the speed control system would be best would it
not? When I've used the Mindstorms I find the PulseWidthModulation makes
the thing scream on straights and crawl on curves.  You have at least
one DN142. How do you find it compares to the DN121?
Also, would the DZ121 be a better choice all around for size and
features?

There are more steps (128) to the PWM in DCC (ha, say that fast 5 times!).  So,
I don't think that the compensated decoders are required.  Mind you, I might
find out that I want them for running between the 2 levels of my layout-
however, that is intended to have a human operator run the trains, so I really
don't see much of a problem.  I haven't tried long trains around multi corners
with it yet, so I cannot comment too much. (I guess I have to go play with my
lego eh? :)

(I just got a bunch new HP sets, and some MOT stuff, and more bulk bricks- all
kinds of fun- but my Metroliner isn't here yet :()

Any pics of your motor outputs? I'd like to see how you got 3 sets of
wires out of the unit.

With a drill.  Since I have to cut open the motor anyway, I just add a hole in
the top of one of the studs on the non 9V connector end, and run the wires up
from the decoder that way.  It's only 3 wires (2 switched, one common) coming
up and out.

I only have a real camera- so photos will be a few weeks or so.  It isn't as
scary as you think.  For power transmission, I am using 2x2 pieces of the
electric plates cut up (I think that the instructions for such modifications
are on Ralph H's site)

James