 Trains / 13516
Re: Digital Controls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 02:34:19 GMT

James Powell wrote:

Thank you very much, Robert.
Do you know if anyone else besides Tom is working on this subject? I liked
his page

Pedro

Pedro,

Feel free to ask away here if you want-I'm sure having msg's to refer back to
here wouldn't hurt.  I know there are some people who frown on it because it is
not a pure lego system, but to me, the advantages of digital outweigh the
disadvantages.

I have 6 motors converted, a decoder for a 7th is awaiting installation.  To
date, I have been busy with other projects around here since I bought the
system to really test it out, but I do like what I have seen.

I am using Digitrax (www.digitrax.com) equipment, rather than MRC.  The decoder
installation is exactly as per Tom's page-there is no need to add to it.  The
only thing which I am doing different is with regards to accessory outputs- and
that is to run a separate wire from the motor, using the electric plates cut up
to provide connectors to standard lego wiring.  The 9V output on the motor is
in this way available should I want to run a 2nd decoder mounted in a battery
box from a train motor.

Control is somewhat limited- the first 30-40 positions of the range are at
present up to fly values.  This _can_ be adjusted using a user voltage table- I
just haven't had time to do so.

To get started, you _are_ looking at fairly serious $$$, I have about $780 cdn
in it so far, for 7 motors.  (I actually only have 5 locos converted...one
double motored one...but, I _think_ that using the decoders in each motor is
better than a joint box, because that maximizes the "lego" aspect of it)

James, do you mean to say that you are actually running ~5 trains on
your LEGO layout? That you are actually using DCC successfully? I've
heard many people talk about it, but so far no one has posted pics and
"Look what I did"'s...

I've wanted DCC for some time. It's so 'real'.

Dean
--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320