 Town / 9477
9476  |  9478
Subject:
BinkTower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:46:55 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Pick-A-Brick is our friend.

I’m an excellent procrastinator. Over the last month or so, I’ve been surreptitiously working on an actual physical brick MOC, when I should’ve been doing other things. You can tell me if it was worth it.

The design itself isn’t really noteworthy, except maybe for the half-plate offset of the tiles to give it a layered look. What really catches the eye is the sheer amount of dark red 1x4 tiles. Since I lack imagination or originality, I call it BinkTower.

(Click thumbnail for Brickshelf gallery)

This was born of several trips to the Washington Square Pick-A-Brick wall, where one day dark red 1x4 tiles showed up and were immediately cleared out (not just by me). While puttering around and avoiding more important things, I saw a way to use a pair of 1x1 washing machine parts, a 1x4 black plate, and the coveted 1x4 dark red tiles to build a meta-brick. Put eight of those together, you get a panel. Put about 40 of those together, you get one story of a building. Add 1x2x2 smoke panels and you get some nifty windows. Since I’m a slow builder, it took a while for me to get the whole thing together. I rebuilt it a couple of times before I was happy with it. The structure is actually quite stable.

Fun BinkTower Stats
  • 29 inches tall with a gray baseplate footprint
  • ~98% of the bricks used came from local store’s Pick-A-Brick
  • 2,000+ dark red 1x4 tiles
  • 4,000+ red 1x1 washing machine bricks
  • 2,000+ black 1x4 plates
  • 600+ trans-smoke 1x2x2 panels
  • Building is completely hollow
  • Foundation uses dark bley modified bricks[1]
  • Est. PaB cost: $150; est. BrickLink cost: $350; est. LEGOFactory PaB online cost: $800
  • ATM awning is the obligatory Bionicle piece
I’ll be showing this at BrickFest, assuming my kids don’t trash it in the meantime (they shouldn’t).

Kelly

[1] Binky’s secret Brick Mutilation Recipe