 Town / 8471
Re: Art Deco Miami Hotel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 20:52:22 GMT

In lugnet.town, James Garrett wrote:
   Greetings:

Here is my attempt to address a major problem: the near total absence of Art Deco architecture in the Lego townscape.

This is a minifig scale version of a typical Miami Art Deco hotel from around 1930. Check out the MOC pages for details. I am not sure it will end up on MichLTC train layout or not.

I hope you like it!

This is my second post to Lugnet (my first was for the Fisher Building which attracted little notice at the time).

-Jim Garrett

Jim has a good eye for design realism. I had the pleasure of meeting him on August 13 during the Downtown Detroit Historic Theatre Tours, where I was a guide and he a visitor.

Jim did a wonderful job on building Detroit’s famous 1928 Fisher Building, by the noted Detroit architect Albert Kahn, who primarily did industrial architecture, but also did the 28 story Fisher Building, and the GM World Headquarters across the street from it. The Fisher Building was a pioneer of modern architecture. It was the inspiration for many later office/entertainment/retail complexes to come, such as Cincinnati’s Carew Center, and NYC Rockefeller Center. The Fisher Building is known as Detroit’s biggest art object. It contains the famous Fisher Theatre, which (run by New York’s Nederlander organization) had the worlds premier of the play “Fiddler on the Roof”.

The Art Deco Miami Beach hotel is very nice also. With all the colors now in the Lego pallette, it makes this type of colorful pastel architecture much easier to produce. There are a lot of different possibilities with Lego for producing some of these gems. For anyone interested in Miami Beach Art Deco, the book “DECO DELIGHTS” by Barbara Baer Capitman is a must. Jim, great job on this colorful confection!

Jim, don’t get discouraged about folks ignoring your wonderful creationgs... I posted (after 5 years of working on it) my 20,000 piece GOTHIC CATHEDRAL earlier this summer in lugnet.build.architecture, and got not one comment either. Seems like too many folks around here prefer to whine about colors or why their countries were ignored in TLG programs. Maybe Lugnet is no longer the place for true builders.

Gary Istok