 Town / 1657
1656  |  1658
Subject:
Depicting Bricks & Mortar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 07:13:17 GMT

I'd do a search on "bricks" but it would be futile. No hits on Mortar. What I'm
interested in is any way to hint at the color of mortar between bricks in a
wall. I've noticed that solid red Lego buildings really betray the look of
their real-world red brick counterparts.

Here's what I've come up with in experiment:

1. Gray plates separating rows of bricks. Possibly 1x4 plates, recessed to
leave a crack on the face between 2x4 bricks.
2. Alternating 2x2 red brick and 2x2 gray plate, in columns, with every other
column raised up 2 plates more.
3. Composite 2x4 bricks: a sandwich made of red 2x4 plates clad around a 2x3
gray plate and a 1x2 red plate. Use like regular 2x4 bricks in an interlocking
patttern.
4. Gray plates separating rows of bricks, but using 1x2 grey bricks to separate
red bricks.

So far only #1 seems to look good around doors and windows. The others tend to
distort the scale.

Suggestions? MOCs?

-Erik