 Technic / 7484
    Re: Powering motors from the mains —Trevyn Watson
   I think you misuderstood what Larry said (or I misunderstood what you said). I think Larry was saying that you should use the wall wart from the train speed regulator, which is what Lego recommends. Also, I dont see how you could burn out the diodes (...) (22 years ago, 18-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Powering motors from the mains —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) Yes. That is what I meant. I even believe sincerely that it's what I said. :-) I am not sure who exactly within LEGO first recommended it but if you dig hard enough in lugnet.robotics I believe you will find just such a recommendation.... that (...) (22 years ago, 18-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Powering motors from the mains —Frank Filz
     (...) I'd be a little surprised at a bridge rectifier which couldn't accept DC. Many electronic appliances have them these days so that it doesn't really matter what kind of wall wart you use, so long as the voltage is in the right range. The wall (...) (22 years ago, 18-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Powering motors from the mains —Ross Crawford
     (...) The main problem comes from the heat generated. This isn't a problem, unless you're driving motors fairly constantly with your RCX, but can eventually cause the diodes to break down. Of course, when one half of the rectifier goes, you can (...) (22 years ago, 19-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Powering motors from the mains —Tom Napolitano
      The current is going through two silicon diodes though, with attendant .5 volt drop through each so consider if that will be a problem in this application. Likely its not. (...) Tom Napolitano tomnap@bersama.net (22 years ago, 18-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Powering motors from the mains —Ross Crawford
   (...) Ooops! Silly me! Yes, the Australian (240v) train reg adapter is also 10v AC, so fine to use with RCX. ROSCO (22 years ago, 19-May-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)