 Technic / 6725
RE: Excavator Pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:02:41 GMT

Jennifer, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a kinematic singularity a • point
in the motion of a mechanism whereby the direction of the applied force is
exactly opposed by the final positions of the indirectly connected
components?  In other words, you get to a point where everything lines up
just right and the thing locks up.  A bit like trying to run a • one-cylinder
engine without inertia?

I actually understood that - thanks!

The real reason for the redesign of the boom/bucket linkage on the excavator
is that I've used a different bucket and the attachment points have a
different geometry.  But, Jennifer and Becky are right in that if you
replace the 5U lift arm (propellor blade, 5x1 plate with holes - call it
what you will) near the bucket, from maximum extension the cylinder tries to
pull itself through the boom as opposed to drawing the bucket back.

William