 Technic / 6651
Re: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:36:26 GMT

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:05:34 GMT, "Steven lane" <steveroblane@aol.com>
wrote:

In lugnet.technic, John Heins writes:

I hate to say it but it seems that TLC is once again shooting themselves in
the foot here.  There's a large market in old large Technic sets - trading
at far above their original prices.  I suppose that the only hope here is if
Lego Direct makes a move to support this market.  THey HAVE re-released a
few sets (which seem to sell out quite quickly) but their efforts seem to be
fighting the tide.  But then maybe this is the best way to sell such sets.
Mass market outlets are NOT good for large expensive sets - especially in
the new wimpy packaging.

The irony in all this can be seen in ANY big box store.  I was in a few Toys
R Us over the past week.  THe large Technic Star Wars sets are getting
marked down - though all are beat to hell and resealed.  Every single one of
the large ($119) 4x4 boxes were open on the shelves.  This scenario cannot
be profitable for TRU.  In contrast, just TRY to find one of the Pirate
series sets.

I'd buy sets contained in a sturdy brown cardboard box made of recycled
materials with just a bar code on it if it meant I got the parts. This would
be from online sellers of course like TRU's web site, Lego woudn't want
these packs on shop shelves. You'd just need to tape it shut and stick on a
mailing label and it would be ready for the post. That would give you
minimal costs and handling and make the whole venture more profitable and
therefore more worthwhile to Lego.

Agreed.

Luckily I have quite a collection of beams and such already and LEGO
should last forever so I'm set. It's still a sad sad thing that is
going on :(
/Tobbe

http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/