 Technic / 6690
Re: Is "traditional" Technic being killed off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 05:52:42 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Now if you want to talk about a set from that era that was
good, how about this one:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/952

Yes, 100 more pieces, higher price point, but this is a set that looks like
something I'd want to play with. It was a set I thought of buying at the
time (I was 18 and more into fast cars and wine, women and song at the time)
whereas the other one had no interest for me.

There are a lot of Technic sets that could be used to make the case that
Technic has gone downhill lately, but 854, IMHO is not one of them.

I can certainly agree with this selection except for one minor detail: Even in
1977 farm equipment didn't tend to interest most kids. As much as I loved this
model, that was what ultimately kept me from saving for it and getting the
larger set instead.

There have been quite a few interesting crane and forklift type sets over the
years that I'd love to see make a comeback. Motorcycles have never been given
much respect via the brick translation, and the same can be said of race cars
until the Silver Champion came out. (Indy Storm was pretty bad AFAIAC).

I'm not sure what the solution is to be totally honest. I'd live to see models
with great Technic features that look like some of the stuff Bram builds.
Details do make the model more interesting which is why I don't feel we'll ever
see a Technic Legend from before 1985.

-Dave