 Technic / 5209
Re: LEGO Legends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:05:32 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Greg Majewski writes:
I honestly think that the next Legends release will be an Auto Chassis or
the Test Car.

I think we can do a little detective work to predict what a Technic Legend
might be...

I (and clearly many others in other groups) suggest that TLC chose the
Guarded Inn for three main reasons (and I'll stick my neck out and say I
have ranked these in order of importance):

1.  It has only a few parts which would need to be remoulded
2.  It scored very highly on the LUGNET set database ratings
3.  It's at an attractive price point, decent piece count but not a set most
people would need to think twice over the cost of.

On this basis 8860, 8865 and 8880 are likely to lose out due to the high
cost. (However as 8860 has only two parts (square piston and old
differential) that would need to be remoulded (correct me if I'm wrong here)
it may be able to be done for much less than its relative original cost.)

8480 Space Shuttle is the highest ranked Technic set but it's also very
large and includes a lot of electric parts which would make it hard to
reduce the cost.

The first smaller Technic set in the rankings (8448 still being available)
is 8460 Mobile Crane.  A possible contender but still a little expensive.
Next comes 8868 Airtech Claw Rig (my most desparate want) still very costly
so I think I'm out of luck.

Next is 8862, still quite large and needing a lot of remoulded parts.

I think the logic here is that we are likely to be the last theme to be
served as we like such expensive stuff.  Only after the 'Legends' concept
has really proved itself as profitabel to TLC will they take a risk on such
large sets.

When it comes I predict 8460 (price) or 8860 (classic status).  I've got two
of each, damn.

Now feel free to rip my logic apart and disagree with me all you like.

Psi