 Technic / 2303
Re: 1 motor 2 speed transmission
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:38:54 GMT

I just finished a recreation of your transmission. Great piece of
engineering. Thanks for sharing your work. I hope I can work this into one
of my machines.

--
Bob Fay
rfay@we.mediaone.net

The Shop
http://users5.50megs.com/bobfay

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/7900/
"Amnon Silverstein" <amnon@best.com> wrote in message
Here is a transmission I've been working on. It has two forward speeds 5:1 • and
1:3. If you run the motor one way, you get forward low gear. If you run • the
motor the other way, you get forward high gear.
I am using a differental to split the two directions of rotation onto two
intermediate shafts. I am also using 24 tooth gears as pawls. I have the • clear
holes on live shafts, and the slight drag makes them engage positively • when the
shaft rotates in the right direction. The two shafts then go through two
different ratios of gear trains, and then get recombined with a second
differential.
The top picture shows the input side. The input goes through a pawl that • is
shown engaged with a 24 tg that prevents that shaft from rotating counter
clockwise. Under it is a little 8tg that transfers power to the big 40tg. • This
is the powertrain for counterclockwise rotation, which is 5:1 reduction.
The middle picture shows the splitting differential to the right, and the
combining differential to the left.
The bottom picture shows the output side, and the power train for • clockwise
power input. The top 24 tg is a pawl on the input shaft that engages when • the
input is clockwise. The pair of 8tg reverse the rotation to the combining
diferential, so this direction gives a ratio of 1:3
With a second motor, I think the design could be extended to 3 forward • speeds
and one reverse.

http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/LegoTranny.jpg

Send me mail with the word LEGO a the start of the subject to get through • my
spam filter.