 Technic / 2300
2299  |  2301
Subject:
1 motor 2 speed transmission
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:19:32 GMT

Here is a transmission I've been working on. It has two forward speeds 5:1 and
1:3. If you run the motor one way, you get forward low gear. If you run the
motor the other way, you get forward high gear.
I am using a differental to split the two directions of rotation onto two
intermediate shafts. I am also using 24 tooth gears as pawls. I have the clear
holes on live shafts, and the slight drag makes them engage positively when the
shaft rotates in the right direction. The two shafts then go through two
different ratios of gear trains, and then get recombined with a second
differential.
The top picture shows the input side. The input goes through a pawl that is
shown engaged with a 24 tg that prevents that shaft from rotating counter
clockwise. Under it is a little 8tg that transfers power to the big 40tg. This
is the powertrain for counterclockwise rotation, which is 5:1 reduction.
The middle picture shows the splitting differential to the right, and the
combining differential to the left.
The bottom picture shows the output side, and the power train for clockwise
power input. The top 24 tg is a pawl on the input shaft that engages when the
input is clockwise. The pair of 8tg reverse the rotation to the combining
diferential, so this direction gives a ratio of 1:3
With a second motor, I think the design could be extended to 3 forward speeds
and one reverse.

http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/LegoTranny.jpg

Send me mail with the word LEGO a the start of the subject to get through my
spam filter.