 Technic / 16042
Re: Technicopedia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:00:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:

   By the way, I noticed that your site only looks at the 9V motors. Have you ever dissected or tested one of these 4.5V motors?

Never... yet!

Just by the way, back in those days LEGO also made a 12V technic motor that was the same size as the 4.5 but came in black. I actually used to have one that I got in a sealed box (!), and when testing it with a train speed regulator (12V grey big block) it ran nicely - however after a while it ground to a screaming halt; I guess an approximate 12 years of shelf storage were not the best one could do to the bearings. Any attempt to open the motor and reanimate it failed. Too bad, really.

As for the 4.5V, I think there were several (at least two) interesting gear boxes available - one even required shoving the motor into a second housing. I got to search through my stuff what’s still there. While I have plenty of 9V stuff, it’s sometimes nice to have the old 4.5V pieces around.

Regards,

Jerry