 Technic / 15883
15882  |  15884
Subject:
Wonderful design tidbits PDF - anybody else impressed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:49:49 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

This popped up on theNXTstep blog a short time ago - it's from a builder in
Japan named Isogawa Yoshihito, and I've got to say I'm really impressed, and was
wondering what others thought. The blog post:

http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com/2007/09/new-pdf-book-from-japan.html

and the webpage with the download (he's asking $10, download it and look at it
first, even spread it around, which seems rather... extremely reasonable):

http://www.isogawastudio.co.jp/legostudio/toranomaki/en/

He seems to cover not only a lot of the "standard" tricks (cross-bracing,
sliding worm gears, basic gearing, etc.), but a lot of innovative ways of doing
them as well as some novelties (at least to me - minfig capes to make air
propellors, and a wide variety of discontinuous motion mechanism, including
Geneva wheels and pseudo-clock escapments, etc.), powered by almost anything you
can imagine: electric motors (anything from the old 9V motor up through the NXT
and PF motors), LEGO wind-up motors, rubber bands, springs, and weights. And in
true LEGO fashion, he does it without words, just pictures and very simply icons
(arrows, symbols, etc.)

It's going to take me a while to work through this "book" (I "read" it all in a
40 minute sitting last night), but it's well-enough photographed that you can
treat it like some sort of Technic puzzle book (how I'm going to present it to
my son): can you deduce what will happen here before you build anything?

--
Brian Davis