 Technic / 15761

Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 00:57:17 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Stump Dunn wrote:

   We currently see axle pins in blue. Not black or any other color (the Tan ones are a different part, that’s why they are a different color).
On this, i completely agree. They are two extremely similar parts, and I believe colour standardisation is needed. However, blue and tan ? Frictionless Axle pins were grey, Axle pins with friction were black. Easily distinguishable, neutral colours. Why did they need to change ? For the sake of 2M (lets not debate weather it should be 2M or 2L) axles and friction pins> ? 2M axles at one point in time were produced in white. neutral, easily distinguishable. All that is needed is for friction axle pins to be made in something like dark grey and the other three parts could have remained standard. Blue ? wheres the neutrality in that.

Dark Bley looks a lot like black in the instructions, I think that was the thinking there. And I don’t know if white 2L(*) would be any better than red, from a standing-out point of view.

So, maybe Light Bley for friction axle pins, and Tan for frictionless would have worked. I’m sure they were looking for cheap colors, since the parts are so abundant.

(*) I didn’t realize that was debatable. What’s the M stand for? Maybe we should take this argument to another venue?

Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts
So, maybe Light Bley for friction axle pins, and Tan for frictionless would have worked. I’m sure they were looking for cheap colors, since the parts are so abundant.

I’m guessing they didn’t want to use lt grey because they don’t think kids can easily distinguish pins and axle pins. “Standard” colour of frictionless pins is lt grey.

ROSCO

Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts
I'm guessing they didn't want to use lt grey because they don't think kids can
easily distinguish pins and axle pins. "Standard" colour of frictionless pins is
lt grey.
Also, in the distant past TLC has actually produced the non friction
variety of axle pin in black (I own a few myself). Although that probably
doesn't matter to TLC :)

Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts
   (*) I didn’t realize that was debatable. What’s the M stand for? Maybe we should take this argument to another venue?

“TECHNIC building uses the “module” or “M” as a measurement of length. 1 M is the distance from the center of one hole on a TECHNIC beam to the center of the next hole. ”

So a 3 L studless beam is actually 2M

Steve

Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts
   (*) I didn’t realize that was debatable. What’s the M stand for? Maybe we should take this argument to another venue?

“TECHNIC building uses the “module” or “M” as a measurement of length. 1 M is the distance from the center of one hole on a TECHNIC beam to the center of the next hole. ”

So a 3 L studless beam is actually 2M

Steve

Ugh. Is that metric? And you only count center-to-center, not the ends? Leave it Lego to think of something like this.

In lugnet.technic, Timothy P. Smith wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Stump Dunn wrote:

   (*) I didn’t realize that was debatable. What’s the M stand for? Maybe we should take this argument to another venue?

“TECHNIC building uses the “module” or “M” as a measurement of length. 1 M is the distance from the center of one hole on a TECHNIC beam to the center of the next hole. ”

So a 3 L studless beam is actually 2M

Steve

Ugh. Is that metric? And you only count center-to-center, not the ends? Leave it Lego to think of something like this.

That can not be true. For example, if you look at page three of the lego factory technic section, what we call a 1x3 liftarm thin is described as 3M.

--Peter

Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts
   That can not be true. For example, if you look at page three of the lego factory technic section, what we call a 1x3 liftarm thin is described as 3M.

--Peter

http://technic.lego.com/technicdesignschool/lesson.asp?x=x&id=1_a Dont shoot the messenger !

Steve

Re: Informations on new TECHNIC element and color coded parts