 Technic / 15696
Re: Roller Coaster runs on Monorail Track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:08:50 GMT

   In lugnet.technic, Jason J Railton wrote:
   I’m interested in anything that can reduce the size of a roller coaster and make it more reliable. This was my mini one from LegoWorld last year. Whoever took these shots got a good close-up of the lifting mechanism:

In lugnet.technic, Chris Phillips wrote:
   That is a cool design! Definitely the most compact working design I’ve seen. I’m surprised that I never noticed this before. I bet you could eliminate a lot of friction by using a layer of SNOT for the rail bed. I also used plastic wheels (no rubber) because I don’t mind if the wheels skid all the way down the hill. All the better if they do!

It was designed to be modular - each section is 16x16, and drops either 2 bricks (straight) or 4 bricks (corner). I carried it all in flight luggage, each part wrapped in tight cling-film (plastic food wrap) and I’m amazed the curves held together. A good Samsonite case helped.

Funny thing was, if I had tiles all along the straights, the cars would drag against the sides. By having some tiles then dropping onto studs, there’s a little jolt to keep them going. The same is true of the placement of tiles on the steps in the corners.

The corners are where you get the most sticking though, and it’s hard to design a smooth (and shallower) bed through the turns. If the cars pick up too much speed, they will tip over the next corner as they are quite tight turns.

I couldn’t find any plastic wheels that would reliably take the corners. If you look what I’ve done (a later picture shows some of my karts, based on old Legoland town vehicles) I used thin tyres on studless wheels, to get a rounder profile. But this is only because they’re running against an outer wall.

   I tried using pneumatic tubing for the rails, but it just kept giving way. It was a bit too sticky too. Track System isn’t flexible enough to maintain a gradient, so I had to resort to making my own rickety stairs, which jam up quite often.

I actually have considered using a loop of pneumatic tubing as a conveyor to pull the cars up the incline. I would prefer to use string, but I think it’ll just slip over the pulleys. I’ve also tried building chains out of discrete Technic parts.

I want this to be very reliable. Our amusement park displays are expected to run continuously for at least six hours at a time, and I don’t want to spend the whole weekend picking up after derailments and answering minifig lawsuits.

Mine ran 8 hours a day for 6 days at Legoworld, but you did have to watch it pretty much constantly for cars tipping on the lift or in the corners. I also needed to completely service the mechanism and the karts every morning - wheels off to dust the axles, brush the tyres and clear the plastic dust from the lift gearing.

Still, I had mine working on the first day, whereas the other coaster in the hall (a very large hanging one) was still being built on the last day!

At our Christmas party I didn’t bother, and a few people’s kids actually had loads of fun with constantly having to rescue the karts and keep it going.

I’d love to do something more reliable. And I keep toying with the idea of making GBC-style kart pumps and lifts. I don’t want something that involves thousands of tiny segments of technic or cut pneumatic tubing though, as that’s too much trouble.

Jason R