 Technic / 15620
15619  |  15621
Subject:
8889 Technic Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:16:03 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

The 8889 Technic Ideas book has four pages dedicated to a six-wheeled truck,
which appears to be built largely from a combination of 8859 and 8860.
Unfortunately it fails to give instructions, and all the pictures are from one
side, leaving much of the underneath and far side a mystery.

I attempted to build this once as a kid, but didn't get very far - as I didn't
have 8859 I was probably doomed to failure.  I still don't have 8859, but a few
years ago I decided I probably had most of the necessary parts and attempted to
build it.  There are a small number of part substitutions (notably blue 16 long
technic beams being replaced with black ones), and obviously what is not
illustrated in the book is conjectural, while attempting to be stylistically
appropriate.  I've also added four extra 1x4 technic beams to tie together the
upper and lower members of the chassis about the mid-point of its length, as the
original design had a notable weak point here.

Otherwise the design works well.  The V6 engine runs smoothly, and the gears
work about as well as that method of gears could work, although I think there
was some modification to the gearing in front of the gearbox as the pictures
showed a system that wouldn't work (or ended up with two ways of getting the
same gearing).  The system has three forward speeds (and no reverse) but the
gearing is split fore and aft of the gear stick.  The rear wheel lifting
mechanism works well.

The model isn't as robust as the Technic sets of the time, although it seemed to
survive several young children playing with it on Thursday, which was when I had
the opportunity to photograph it.  I think I built it in about 2004, but I
couldn't swear to that.

Original pictures are pages 38-41 of 8889, which for those of you whose parents
didn't buy it for £2.89 from the Jolly Giant, can be found here:
http://www.peeron.com/scans/8889-1/

My version of it can be seen here:

Let me know what you think, and if anyone else has attempted to recreate this.

Al