 Technic / 15617
15616  |  15618
Subject:
Robo Quad - Stage One
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:36:33 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Robo Quad - Stage One Powered Front Paws

History

As you may or may not know, I have been studying rolling walking quad hybrids.

Rabbit Wrecker Scout Controlled Blue Quad Quadra-Mech NXT Controlled Red Quad Green Quad

After working on several proto-types and looking at the various design challenges,
I have started a fully robotic version.

The first of these Quads was the Rabbit Wrecker.

The Rabbit Wrecker is a cool little creation that has lot’s of articulation.
Although later designs would use different joint set up and placements.
The idea was to show use of the wheels at the feet.

Using wheels at the ends of legs on quads and multi-peds is nothing new.
I wanted to create a robot that could climb stairs using technology and
construction techniques developed when I built the Jamocklaquat.

technology and construction

Adding wheels to the feet seemed like a good way to help push and pull the
robot up a stair case as well as navigate other obsticles. Plus wheels are
such an inherently man made design, I wanted to blend man’s technology with
nature’s ubiquitous multi-ped; the Quadra-ped.

Blue Quad internal cam drive - OLD SET UP

I then started to create a mechanical chasis to explore cam driven shoulder
joints with the begining of the Blue Quad. This worked great, but was not
reliable when given a heavy load. Also the system needed to be more robust
due to the high stress level the upper shoulder joints would encounter.

Pivoted spine - U-joint and drive shaft

The mechanical chasis was really cool, it even sported a pivoted spine that
channeled the drive shaft’s power through a center mounted U-joint.
Though with out enough power and controllability, I scrapped the idea and saved it
for a more proper build, hopefully in the final version.

After I made the Blue Quad, I wanted to make a more sporty and fun version.
Something like the ultimate off road 4x4 vehicle of the future.
I imagined the Quadra-Mech as a rough riding machine built for fun.

Quadra-Mech

The Quadra-Mech took advantage of ball joints at the shoulders.
Allowing for good articulation and a reliable system for this particular job.
It was around this time, that I realized, the lower portion of a Quad’s legs
needed to twist in relation to the upper shoulder. This movement is called
“splay” and is much the same as the action and relation the hips and ankles
have in a bi-pedal mecha or humanoid form.

Lower Leg twist also called Ankle Steering

Beacuse of the emense force and weight bearing load of this foward most
joint, the rotational plane needed to be reinforced by using a flange to
better distribute the weight and force so the joint wouldn’t pop out under load.

I carried this lesson on to the next test proto-type; the Red Quad

Red Quad lower leg rotation flange

It was novel to add the NXT to the Red Quad to add some personality.
Though the motors are kind of large, they work well and provide for some
interesting programming possibilites.

I did stumble upon a new way to mount a worm driven z40 using some odd
stud less parts and a traditional triangle plate set up.

New z40 worm drive

The next test was to make a Quad that was a little more streamlined and sleek
looking. The Green Quad is definetly the sport version.

Not much more inovation was made with this model, aside from testing out new
ball jointed shoulder geometries. The Green Quad was also a replacement for a
much needed green model within my creations. Though it does feature the most
stable foot print, the double jointed spine really adds a new dynamic to the
way it stands.

Double jointed spine

Now comes the fun part!

The Robo Quad’s time has come. Enough with the models and proto-types.
Now it is time to build a fully robotic version!

This is Stage One of the process.

Goals:
  • Use RC racer motors to power the drive wheels.
  • Use a motorized turntable for the ankle steering.
  • Black Technic and plates.
  • Sturdy and reliable.
The Robo Quad’s front paws are very strong. I used RC racer motors to power
the wheels. I added a powerful gear train to the set up. When the RC motor
is running and when a load is applied to the wheel, it is very difficult to
stop by hand.

Robo Quad - Front paws Front paw - top Front paw - bottom Front paws - begin paw # 2

Next: Stage Two

Goals:
  • Create reinforced motorized flange for ankle steering.
  • Determine best configuration for the elbow joints; turntable or beam to z40.
  • Create rear paws.
  • Prepare rear lower leg section.
Later and advanced stage notes:

The Robo Quad will feature RC controllers mounted in the body.
I also picked up two Batmobiles so I could have really cool eye canopies.
I will try to add a Vision Command Sensor Camera in the head.
Upper shoulders will be turntable driven.
Still speculating on the upper most shoulder splay functions and placement.
Eye lights will be from HiTechnic; UV LED’s.
RC Racer and RCX controllers.

The Robo Quad challenges include driving forward, turning, walking, and climbing.

If you are interested in trying out your own design, now is the time to join
me during this early process of documentation. While difficult to provide
exact building instructions, this series of design notes can aid in helping
to make your own. Go for it!

Stay tuned for Stage Two.

Robo Quad - Stage One Powered Front Paws

Eric Sophie