 Technic / 15401
Re: Technic, Gear Timing Wheel 8 Tooth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 23:11:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dan Berladyn wrote:
Thank you for that information.   I took a look through several pictures of
a 8479 Barcode Multi-Set, I wanted to see how the Timing Wheel was used.
While doing so I came up with the idea of using a Touch Sensor with the
Timing Wheel.  This works so well I am almost certain that this is where the
Timing Wheel had it's origins.  Using the Timing Wheel with a Light Sensor
seems to work ok aswell, but the output values appear hardly
distinguishable.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Following on from the use of the 8-tooth timing wheel in the 8479 bar code
truck, which varied the rev sound, I used a 4-lobe Technic Knob Wheel
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=32072 with a touch sensor connected
to a bar code unit to produce a 'chuff' sound for a large scale steam engine
(approximately 1:8.4 scale of a narrow-gauge engine), with four chuffs per wheel
revolution.  A second bar code unit detected the buffer touch sensors touching
the end stop in order to stop, pause and reverse the drive motor.

At first I thought the 8-tooth timing wheel might not move a touch sensor by
enough to be useful, so I kept it for the bar code unit's light sensor, but I
might give it a try with a touch sensor in another application.

8-tooth timing wheels are also very useful for holding eight 3.2mm-thick round
parts.  I've tried them with flex tubing and also the 8 optic fibres of the unit
from the space shuttle.

Mark