 Technic / 13966
Re: Why do you torture Technic enthusiasts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:02:08 GMT

"David Eaton" <deaton@intdata.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.dear-lego, Andy Evans wrote:
Why do you torture Technic enthusiasts?  First, we get a preview of • three
very cool looking Technic sets (8421, 8420, and 8416), but for some • reason
the release dates of these sets are clustered together in the 4th • quarter of
2005.

It's probably the earliest they could fit it into production. But I think • it's
expected to hear about the sets now. From my understanding, everyone's • anxious
to get their toys shown at the Toy Fair (in Q1) so that manufacturers are • eager
to pick them up later in the year. So everyone tries as best they can to • get
previews ready and show them off, which just means we're teased early.

Then, we see the Technic Enzo Ferrari, which has been available in • Europe for
several weeks, but apparently won't be released in the US until later • this
year (if at all??).

There's a couple things like that that make me kinda sad. Like them having • the
Viking sets only available in Europe (the flipside being that the 'Dino • Attack'
theme or whatnot is only going to be in the US, not that I'm as much of a • fan of
that). It's kind of a shame that European kids seem to be more on par with
AFOL's tastes (or, at least with my tastes).

DaveE

In all honesty I think that TLC are cutting their own throats by limiting
certain products to certain areas.

The two cases here being:-

i) Dino models, these would sell well in museum gift shops, of which in the
UK we have a lot and I am sure there are plenty in the rest of Europe also.
Apart from that we have a large natural history base within our education
curriculum and a LEGO dinosaur that can be built up and taken apart again is
far more fun than a moulded piece of rubber that is normally sold to kids.

ii) Viking models, I think I would be right in saying that the folks in the
USA have a great love for our European history ( not that I am calling yours
of which I have a little knowledge of rather than none) but time lines do
speak for themselves and there has always been the argument that the Vikings
got to America before anyone else (please correct me if I am wrong).

So there you have it, Dear LEGO, get real and get sales.