 Dear LEGO / 5246
Re: Why do you torture Technic enthusiasts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:14:30 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Gary Tabener wrote:

<snip>

In all honesty I think that TLC are cutting their own throats by limiting
certain products to certain areas.

The two cases here being:-

i) Dino models, these would sell well in museum gift shops, of which in the
UK we have a lot and I am sure there are plenty in the rest of Europe also.
Apart from that we have a large natural history base within our education
curriculum and a LEGO dinosaur that can be built up and taken apart again is
far more fun than a moulded piece of rubber that is normally sold to kids.

ii) Viking models, I think I would be right in saying that the folks in the
USA have a great love for our European history ( not that I am calling yours
of which I have a little knowledge of rather than none) but time lines do
speak for themselves and there has always been the argument that the Vikings
got to America before anyone else (please correct me if I am wrong).

So there you have it, Dear LEGO, get real and get sales.

And whereas I'd probably buy a few  Viking sets should they become available,
the cost factor in sending both series 'across the pond' and other related
issues, such as marketing and such, someone probably did a cost/benefit analysis
and came to the conclusion that having both available everywhere isn't cost
effective.

They are 'targeting' the market with the best sets for the market.  The
'one-offs', such as those in the UK that would love dinos and those in North
America that would love Vikings (like me), probably wasn't financially prudent.

Which, again, brings up the whole issue of 'we don't know what happens behind
the closed doors at TLC', nor should we.

And, seeing as how the world's small, I factor in the 'I have a friend in the UK
(Denmark, Holland, wherever), and if I really want the sets that are only
availabe 'over there', I'll get my buddy to send me 'em'.  An inconvenience, to
be sure, but it's still a viable solution, for I'd reciprocate if they wanted
the Dino sets...

Dave K