 Technic / 12593
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 13:59:46 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Eric Sophie wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Where do we stand with our beloved, yet silly named project?

Hey, who says out project name is silly?!?!?  That sounds like something
Courtney would say!

Anyway.....

I've got 8 legs built, and six framed together to get an idea of dimensions.
I've been trying to work on trusses stuff, but I'm running out of parts!  I even
*had* to use studded parts, because I ran out of 1x11 thick liftarms.

Using studded parts in the trusses probably will be neccessary to get the
strength needed.  So far there is a *lot* of deformation due to the weight.

I've been trying to work with 3/4/5 triangles (or multiples thereof) to form the
body with cross bracing.  Hey TJ, you are the structural engineer.  You got
recommendations on how to do lightweight but strong truss structures for our
scorpion?

I've got six of the legs combined together into a hexapod then ran out of parts.
The pistons are unpressured, so the leg lock mechanism seems to be working well.

http://www.kclague.net/SSCorpion/P5060153.JPG
http://www.kclague.net/SSCorpion/P5060154.JPG
http://www.kclague.net/SSCorpion/P5060155.JPG

It currently requires all six legs be down to hold itself up.  Need *lots* and
*lots* of cross bracing, before it will be able to be weight bearing with just
one leg group.

The current deformation also makes the feet touch on adjacent feet.  May have to
rework the hip spacing to compensate for that.

Anyone got a lot of 1x11 tick liftarms?

Feedback?

Kevin