 Technic / 11568
Re: Steerable Walker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:51:24 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, David Wegmuller wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson wrote:
In lugnet.technic, David Wegmuller wrote:
Hi,
Here is one more small walker:
Cool!

How few legs does a tank-steer walker need? I built one with eight previously
but six should be doable. Now it needs to be done minimalistic. Hm...

Hi Tobbe,
I think four legs would be enough: build it so the legs on a given side are 180
degrees out of phase.
To turn, run only one side with the other side stopped so both legs are touching
the ground.
Driving in a strait line can be achieved in two ways: synchronize the two sides,
so they are 90 degrees out of phase or drive each side alernatively for one
turn...
Now we have to build it to find out! I guess that what rainy weekends were
invented for...

Or in my case, living in Minnesota, it is what all of Winter is for.

I like the alternate turns idea, because that way you also have 2/4/2/4 and
avoid the gravity well, and vertical lurching.

If you created a vertical launch mechanism used by hopping robots, you might be
able to get things done with three feet by launching one if the feet in the air,
and changing its position in flight.  The foot in the center line would just
move forwards (or backwards), but the right or left foot could be run seperately
to achieve turning....

Kevin