 Technic / 11567
Re: Steerable Walker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:36:01 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Wegmuller wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson wrote:
In lugnet.technic, David Wegmuller wrote:
Hi,
Here is one more small walker:
Cool!

How few legs does a tank-steer walker need? I built one with eight previously
but six should be doable. Now it needs to be done minimalistic. Hm...

Hi Tobbe,
I think four legs would be enough: build it so the legs on a given side are 180
degrees out of phase.
To turn, run only one side with the other side stopped so both legs are touching
the ground.
Driving in a strait line can be achieved in two ways: synchronize the two sides,
so they are 90 degrees out of phase or drive each side alernatively for one
turn...
Now we have to build it to find out! I guess that what rainy weekends were
invented for...

Greetings,
David

I have been working on pneumatic designs for a quad walker, where it always has
2 feet on the ground, and the transition between pairs of feet has four feet on
the ground.  This prevents vertical lurching associated with 180 phase
quadraped.

I've been struggling a bit with all the pneumatic designs, but I think I can do
it in 10 pistons using my self synchronizing pneumatic designs mechanism.

Once I get that part working getting it to walk backwards, and turn right/left
in place will be straight forward using pneumatic multiplexers (like the ones I
made to make my first reversible pneumatic engine.)

I've also got paper designs for a quad with three of four feet always on the
ground, a five sided walker with four feet always on the ground, and a hexapod
with 5 of six always on the ground.  These will take a *long* time to get to,
but they are looking do-able.

All pneumatics, no RCX controlling switches....  walkers are great!

Kevin