 Technic / 10247
Re: Dear Lego, please stop doing whatever business thing you did that lead to the 8466 4x4 off-roader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:25:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane writes:
In lugnet.technic, David Koudys writes:

I'd rather have the 8466 over the 8880, even with the green panels--the 8880
is pretty neat, but overly complicated and doesn't have near the suspension
'out of the box' that the 8466 does.

I find that if you want a car, the 8448 'blows the doors' off of 8880

I don't want a car, I never said I did, I only buy sets for the great parts
and then build my own thing. I just want to build cool vehicles with driven
steer axles. I also have no experience of the 8448, although  I know I hate
the wheel trims.

If it's parts, then don't ask for sets and ask for accessory packs.  If
saying "Not the 8466!" cause it doesn't contain such 'n such piece, then ask
for such 'n such piece in an accessory pack.

If you want to build cool creations (and we all do :) ), then again,
accessory packs.  Don't write off the 8466 because of want for parts.

Now the green--well I don't mind it so much but then again, I'm colour-blind :)

most folks like the 8880 for one sole reason--the black beams.

I modified the 8466 with the RC unit and motors from 8475 and what a blast
that was.

I checked with T.J earlier and apparently the 8466 suffers terribly from
slop in the steering linkage, somthing the 8880 doesn't have a problem with.

The 8880 suffers from steering mechanisms that come apart.  The 8880 suffers
from plates and hinges that fall off.  The 8880 suffers from lots of
resistance in the drive ass'ly.  Yet I still own it, and liked it.

The 8466 adapts to the RC unit easier than the 8880 or the 8448.  The 8466
has the highest ground clearance and the biggest tires and does 4x4
wonderfully.  Yes there is slack in the steering--comes with the large
tires.  So as a *set*, I prefer the 8466.  For parts I prefer my large
Technic collection going back to the blue go cart in 1980 ;)

In a perfect world, if they were to bring back a large Technic set, for my
money it's the Space Shuttle--by far the best Technic out there, and the
only Technic set that I own that is still together.

The shuttle is boring, what can you actually do with it? It has little play
value. The shuttle is the over complex set, and my one suffered because all
it's drive belts slipped.

Mine was together the day I got it and has never been apart--everyone who
comes over for coffee spends at least an hour playing with it, and checking
out all the little mechanisms, while the 8466, 8880, and the 8448 just sat
there.  That's why those cars came apart for my RCX 'bots, and the Space
Shuttle still sits there on my coffee table, exactly the same as the day I
got it.  Once in a while whilst watching the tube, I'll reach over and open
the bay doors and 'launch' the satellite :)

To each his or her own :)

Steve

Dave K
-Dear Lego trimmed from followup.