 Star Wars / 17205
Subject:
Modding the new LEGO lightup minifig
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 05:17:31 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Finally! I got my hands on one of the new LEGO produced lightup figs. You know what comes next - MUTILATION!!!

First, some observations of the LEGO version:

The packaging states the batteries are not replaceable. With a little work, you can pry off the back on the minifig torso and replace the two CR927 wafer batteries. Just find the hole on either side of the torso and stick something small into it and pry...

The head won’t come off (easily), as its an integrated part of the switching mechanism that turns the lightsaber on and off. You have to hold the head down for the light to turn on. Upon release of the haed, the light will go off. Also, the face pattern is different from the previous Darth Vader face.

The arm has been molded with wires in it for the LED in the hilt. There is not wrist joint, so no twisting of this lightsaber is possible. Upon “researching” this, I also learned that the grey part of the hilt can’t be removed from the black part of the arm without mechanical help from my trusty Dremel. Upon “disassembly” of said arm, I soon realized that I would not be putting it back together again.

The LED inside the hilt is is clear in color and square in shape. When powered, the LED shimes red. It was a little larger than shown in the photos on my site, but I got a little carried away with the Dremel. I was going to shave it down to use in my mod of this fig, but it was still too large after gentle trimming.

Each battery is actually 3v for a total 6v series connection inside the torso. There is a resistor in the lower left corner inside the torso (see photos) which brings the voltage down to a level that won’t blow the LED (around 2-3v).

The hips are now an integrated part of the torso. This was done to allow the maximum room for the battery holders, the batteries, and the switching mechanism. The legs are standard legs and are posable and removeable.

Now for the fun stuff:

I immediately took every piece of this minifig apart except for the negative battery contact and connected resistor. I then modified a standard Vader arm and chrome saber hilt in the same way my other mods have beed done. This arm, when added back to the new fig will have a twistable wrist and will have more of a “stock” look to it than the new LEGO version.

I removed the head and head switch for discarding. A standard LEGO minifig head will fit on the head stalk, so I chose the old Vader head for the replacement.

The only thing left was to install an ON/OFF switch like my previous figs sport...

After careful modification of the positive battery contact, I was able to integrate a SPDT slide switch which is accessible from the back of the minifig near the head. I cut the “battery cover” to accept this new switch. Now the lightsaber can be turned on without taking the legs off (like my previous mods). Also, the lightsaber can be turned on and left on without having to hold the head down. The nice thing about Vader is his cape covers the switch I installed.

OK, enough babbling, here’s the photos:

-Rob Hendrix
http://www.brickmodder.net

Re: Modding the new LEGO lightup minifig