 Space / 9476
9475  |  9477
Subject:
I could resist but I won't (was: Couldn't resist)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 00:55:37 GMT

In lugnet.space, Richard Parsons writes:
In lugnet.space, Jesse Alan Long writes:
Almost every builder has millions of attennas and tons of
bulky areas on these ships and none of these people realize that there is
friction in outer space

what the flipping space monster burgers are you talking about?

You know, Like the one in some movie or other that nearly eats that
spaceship after they've landed in a cave on an asteroid which isn't a cave
but still has bat-things in it and an atmosphere of sorts and really squishy
ground and when they shoot the ground it's uh-oh time and they have to
escape quick between pointy teeth or esle they'de be crunched and munched
and generally unhappy, you know?

Ask Jesse, he reckons they make a good burger...

friction in space?
NOT, noway, nohow
No!  Surely not!
I had always thought all that space suit rubbish was about protecting soft
and squidgy spacedudes from the howling radioactive solar wind, encountered
near suns.
So if its not to protect them from the wind, why do spacedudes muck about
with space suits, or is that just Hollywood making everything unnecessarily
dramatic (like the guy falling onto the propeller in Titanic)?

It's cold in space, there's a raging wind-chill factor that does the
proverbials off of brass monkeys, (colder even than the Southern Highlands).
It's probably 'cause modern minifigs are really wussy and can't stand the
cold that they need to wear those visor thingies. I remember when I had a
smiley faced figure, he was kept warm by the glow of going where no 'fig had
gone before, he didn't need no visor or no enclosed cockpit with heated
leather chair.

wings are useless in space, dude.
i'm an astrophysicist, i know whereof i speak.

I protest! Wings aren't useless, they serve the essential purpose of
increasing the sheer 'coolness' of the ship. A ship without wings isn't
funky, man, it hasn't got the mojo to cut it in a deep space mission. After
all, what self respecting 'fig is going to wander the galaxy, defeating
alien babes and winnin the affection of vicious enemies if his ship isn't
'cool'?  It's got to have wings. And think of spiffy things you can do with
wings too, you could mount heaps of weapons on them. 'Cause there's no
gravity in space you don't have to worry about the wings snapping off under
the weight. Or you could strap political dissidents to the wings and watch
them shrivel with frostbite as you zoom through the cosmos. And to power all
those weapons some slick solar panels would come in handy, perhaps
tastefully decorated in your government's colours so others can see whether
you are a good guy or a target (or an alien-babe cruise ship). And finally
when threatened by pinko commie rouge mooners you can use the wings (and
political prisioners) to bat those rocks and garbage back at their sneering
faces.

Oh? You mean real life? Oh. Ignore all that then.

(and if any of the many builders who have millions of attennas is about, I'd
like to know what attennas are, and whether you could spare a couple of
hundred thou - I've never encountered a Lego piece I couldn't use for
something...)

Oh good, that means I can call dibs on a ton of bulky areas, just as long as
they're not glued together.

James (who is boggled at the thought of a tonne of LEGO bricks)