 Space / 9451
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 03:07:37 GMT

In lugnet.space, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
In lugnet.space, David Drew writes:
Hi.
I can't remember the density of space off the top of my head, but let's say
it's somewhere near the 1 molecule per 3m^3 like you suggest. If a vehicle
is travelling near the speed of light (3*10^8 m/s), then the ship is hitting
in the vicinity of 1*10^8 molecules per second per metre^2 of frontal
surface area!

I can't be bothered working out how many molecules of nitrogen and oxygen
fill a 1m^3 box of air, but I think it can become clear that when travelling
at near-relativistic velocities, the flow of molecules over the surface of a
spaceship can become more than high enough to qualify it as a 'fluid', and
thus impose the problems of drag and turbulence suggested.

Hmmm, this is pretty interesting (in an aero-geek way).  I can't
remember Avogadro's number so I won't work out the numbers, either.

   6.022 x 10^23.  Get computin'!  ;)

I suspect this would become a whole different branch of "fluid"
dynamics compared to what we deal with today.  Because the particle
density is so very tiny, the whole concept for viscosity of this
"fluid" becomes pretty messed up.  Practically speaking I don't
believe there would be any communcication between the particles
like in fluids we encounter today.  Because of that there might not
be any fluid shear to develop to form anything like boundary layers,
in the conventional sense.  Relative to the ship the particles may
appear to be approaching as a "fluid", but relative to each other
the particles are still horribly distant and "non-interacting".
Hey, maybe I can use this for my new masters thesis topic---I
change it every 3 months or so  :]

   Bwaaa!  I know how that goes.  As long as the money is coming,
   why finish it?  ;)

Of course we have to start throwing relativity at it now too, which
is waaay beyond my area.  The last pure physics we dealt with involved
calculating whether a ladder leaning on a wall would slip out from
under the monkey sitting it  :]  Oh, and something about "electricity"
or some whacky nonsense like that  ;]

   An electric ladder or an electric monkey?

Anyhow, at those speeds I can agree that drag would be caused by
the impacting particles (if not a nuclear reaction <G>).  But
I think they would be a form of "impact drag", with transfer of
momentum between the particle and ship.  I'm not so sure any kind
of "flow drag" would develop in the conventional sense.  I have
trouble thinking about what happens when one single particle
crashes into gazillions hurtling along in close formation.  Does
it just "stick"??

   Sometimes it tries to pass through.  If nothing else it
   would, I'd think, deform the atomic array it hits ever
   so slightly.  But if the solid object is going THAT way
   at high speed, and the molecule is (relative to that)
   exhibiting a radial velocity of 0.89c, I'd imagine the
   effect to be similar to sandblasting.  Even at the tiny
   gas volumes found in the ICM/ISM.

   I remember something about relativistic iron nuclei
   passing through space capsule hulls and destroying
   human nerve tissue being a big problem in today's space-
   flight, though.  It may be that all sorts of wacky
   particle effects come into play at hyperspeed, because
   all sorts of particles are out there shooting around,
   things that the protection of our sun's emission, its
   magnetic field, and the Earth's own magnetic field
   render academic (or should that be elementary?  I'm
   torn as to whether I should go for the pun...) any
   question of such interaction at our present stage of
   exploration.

I'll develop some theories and publish the book by Monday  :]

   "The blancmonges mean to win Wimbledon."  There, done!

   best

   LFB