 Space / 9578
Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:41:38 GMT

The "wings" on the ISS (or Mir) are not there to help stabilize the station,
they are there to increase the surface area of the solar panels to provide
electrical power to the station. There are other control systems which keep
the station from revolving, which would be a bad thing.

-Duane

For more information on the ISS see: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/

-Duane

Thank you for the computer site, Duane, but where is the information located
about the control systems which counteract the spinning motions in outer >space?
Jesse Long

You will have to dig for that yourself, since I am not intimately familiar
with the site and am unwilling to become that familiar with it. However, if
memory serves me correctly, I think that the system you are refering to is a
thruster system where gasses are expelled.

-Duane