 Space / 7890
Re: Benevolent Grace Hull Finished today!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:59:54 GMT

In lugnet.space, Joel Kuester writes:
Hi all!

I just finished a couple rooms so I have posted some pics to Brickshelf:

The interior shots are mostly of the finished atrium and the 3rd floor of
the passenger section, which is designed to be like a nightclub, with a
stage for live performances, fully stocked bar, and dancefloor.  There is
also a gameroom, with billiards tables, slot machines, arcade games, darts,
and VR game units.

this will be all the pics for short time, as I need to start working on a
webpage for InfinityCruise (my Tripod account is back, yay!)  but as always,
any comments pro or con are appreciated, and any questions gladly answered.

cheers!
Joel K

Whoa.... I'm not sure what to say, Joel. The interior is coming along
incredibily.... I can't really pick one shot I like more than the others..
they're all awesome.

The pizza ovens in the galley, the chandelier, the arcade (looks like a
place I'd love to get "lost" in for a day or more!), and the glass racks in
the bar are all outstanding.

The magazine/tour brouchure rack in the attrium area is a wonderfully subtle
accent - I didn't notice it right away but couldn't help grining when I did.
Do you have any of the "picture" tiles from the Adventurer's sets? They're
about the right size for a minifig three-fold brochure. ;)

The crew quarters are about as spartan as I would imagine for most space
liners - you captured that very well - though it looks like the unlucky
souls on the second tier of bunks have a pretty tricky accent - or does the
ladder I see beside the stairs on the right side give them access that I
just don't notice in the picture? :)

In the bar area - how did you mount the tables? I know what pieces you used,
but did you use a 2x4 technic plate in the floor to run an axel through to
secure the tables? I haven't played around much with those 'extender' pieces
you used as the table legs, but I didn't think they were narrow enough to
fit between studs? Just me being nosy. ;)

Please tell me you're gonna keep this thing built a while and you're gonna
make more of your "Super Spy" movies with it..!

(Too bad you aren't just around the corner, I'd love to see this one in person.)

Joel J

Re: Benevolent Grace Hull Finished today!
Whoa.... I'm not sure what to say, Joel. The interior is coming along
incredibily.... I can't really pick one shot I like more than the others..
they're all awesome.

thank you!

The pizza ovens in the galley, the chandelier, the arcade (looks like a
place I'd love to get "lost" in for a day or more!), and the glass racks in
the bar are all outstanding.

I have to say that my personal favorites of the details are the chandeliers
in the main hall.  They didn't turn out anything like how I planned, that's
probably a good thing.  :)

The magazine/tour brouchure rack in the attrium area is a wonderfully subtle
accent - I didn't notice it right away but couldn't help grining when I did.
Do you have any of the "picture" tiles from the Adventurer's sets? They're
about the right size for a minifig three-fold brochure. ;)

Great idea, I didn't think of those... I will definately use a couple!

The crew quarters are about as spartan as I would imagine for most space
liners - you captured that very well - though it looks like the unlucky
souls on the second tier of bunks have a pretty tricky accent - or does the
ladder I see beside the stairs on the right side give them access that I
just don't notice in the picture? :)

they don't have it easy... you are right.  They have to swing around the
corner on the ladder.

In the bar area - how did you mount the tables? I know what pieces you used,
but did you use a 2x4 technic plate in the floor to run an axel through to
secure the tables? I haven't played around much with those 'extender' pieces
you used as the table legs, but I didn't think they were narrow enough to
fit between studs? Just me being nosy. ;)

No technic plates used.  The extender part actually has 4 small grooves in
it's surface that allow you to insert it between 4 studs.

Please tell me you're gonna keep this thing built a while and you're gonna
make more of your "Super Spy" movies with it..!

For me, a while is maybe through the end of summer.  I have no current plans
to make any more movies with it... sorry.  It was a lot of fun to do, but I
am starting to seriously work on a graphic novel that I have been writing
for about 4 or 5 years off and on, and that will be taking up most of my
free time for a while.

I will still be designing with Lego, but it will all be microfig scale sets
and technic scale space vehicles that I am going to use to help me envision
the world that my story is set in.

(Too bad you aren't just around the corner, I'd love to see this one in person.)

I'd prefer to let people see it in person.  A lot of the things about the
design that I want to show do not come through well in the pictures, and
some things are almost impossible to photograph, like the inside of the
fore-engines, and the cargo hold and automated loading arms.

cheers!
Joel K

Re: Benevolent Grace Hull Finished today!