 Space / 6602
Re: MOC commercial for a space travel agency
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:46:53 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Trevor Pruden writes:
As Eric Cartman would say:  Kicka**!

What an awesome little movie!  I personally liked the way the small shuttle
docked with the big ship.  Do you have pics of the set to show what you used?

Well done!  I want to see more!

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.

thanks,
as for how it was made... let's just say I have my secrets.

Okay... actually my main secret is a couple of black bed sheets pinned to
the wall.  Upon that I took masking tape and ripped it up into half inch
circles and taped them to the sheets for stars.  They look rather bad in
real life, but to the Studio cam they look more like stars than anything
else I tried.

as for the ship... I just created a stand out of black Lego that uses the
technic "screw block" to pitch and yaw the ship in small increments.  The
stand actually blends into the background pretty good, and if you keep the
stars out it's way, it looks like the ship is free-standing.
to achieve a change in elevation in the first shot, I just inserted video
cassettes under the stand.
The large ship it docks to was just sitting on the floor on top of black
poster boards I bought at K mart for 50 cents each. (as you can now see,
this is all very hi-tech, no?)

The most technical part of the whole film was building the things out of
Lego... that large ship is actually about 6 feet long and when it is
complete I will have a lot more pics of it.  It has 24 rooms like in the
final shot (12 standard, 12 deluxe) and a full crew quarters (kitchen,
lounge, 4 bathrooms, 2 working elevators, large storage bay, engine room, 4
enclosed airlocks, dual 12 bunk crew rooms (male/female), captain's
quarters, bridge, and a whole ton more... but I'd rather show pics than
write about it  :)

cheers!
Joel K