 Space / 4437
4436  |  4438
Subject:
Something not right about Captain Ahnee and the Dipwads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:34:16 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
Hi Everyone,

Dan Jassim asked if I would spread the word on this one. He's created a LEGO
comic strip and wants everyone to check it out.

Enjoy.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin

Call me a stick in the mud, and this may be an unpopular viewpoint.

I looked at this, and I looked at the earlier "Mark goes for donuts". I
laughed a lot, both times. (I laughed at the E! jarjar mockumentary too.)
LOTS of talent went into making these graphic comics, there is no denying that.

And to a certain extent, all humor centers around the discomfiture,
misfortune, or embarrassment of others or of ourselves.

But is a storyline in which the protagonists either ignore injustice or
actively participate in it... is that storyline "good"? Is it funny, really,
to see the suffering of another who is being victimized because of his
appearance, language, or (in Jar Jar's case, he's not very bright) mental
handicap?

I just don't know. That's why I followed this up to off-topic.debate. I
expect I am going to get some replies that say "lighten up, it's all in
fun". Heck, I sort of feel that way myself. Something here is making me a
bit queasy, I can't claim that I have come to grips with it exactly. There
are no good guys, per se, in the strip, so we can't say the good guys are
doing bad things...

Talented as this work is, and as much as it made me laugh, I am not sure I
want to see a bunch of other works that all "celebrate" intolerance. or
something.

Jar Jar is a sentient being (of a fantasy world) and I suspect he has rights
and doesn't like being beat up because he talks funny or looks funny. He
didn't CHOOSE to look goofy, did he?

On the other hand, who am I to say what sort of work other people should
create or not create? I dunno.

++Lar