 Space / 4155
Re: Space world....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:15:45 GMT

First, let me say hi to everyone. I've been lurking for about a month
and I've found this group to be very inspiring. I'm hoping to get my
LEGO site online soon so that I can start sharing with everyone.

Back to the topic...

I like the idea of breaking the site down into smaller pieces for
different people to work on. I've worked on similar projects in the
past, and spreading the task around generally means that the
site/sub-sites get updated more often. I think the two main reasons for
that are A) people can concentrate on one task rather than trying to do
it all and B) a little bit of friendly competition usually springs up,
leading to more aggressive updates on each section of the over-all site.
After all, do you think the Fighter guy is going to let the Mecha guy
show him up? No way! :-)

I would like to add one thing. Rather than just having the logo and
banners be the same across the sub-sites, there should also be a
standard high-level navigation bar that all sites have to use. Not
necessarily in the same place on the page or anything, but just make
sure that it's there. Otherwise, people tend to get lost. I learned that
one the hard way :-)

Other than that, the idea looks cool. I don't have a lot of time to
devote to this, but I'm willing to help out where I can. Let me know
what needs done and I'll see if I can do it.

--
later...    Jer
irvinej@accuvera.com

"Jon Palmer" <jpalmer@oklahoma.net> wrote in message
1 more thing. Some notes on the design. We'd need someon to come up • with a
Logo, and some banners. I think the different subsites should not have • to
look like each other but only have the main logo design on them.

    -Jon

"Jon Palmer" <jpalmer@oklahoma.net> wrote in message
Its been quite some time since this was brought up.
I have a lot of ideas for this. Right now I thought I'd bring up • what
appear
to be reasons this idea won't take off.  I'll also bring up some • possible
solutions as well.

Problems:

-The name. I personally like Space World but I know not all of you • do.

-Web space. There is a problem with adequate space, where it should • be and
good domain. Another problem is maintenance and who will take care • of it
and
the problems that stem off of that.

-Fictional technology and story conflicts. "My universe has • wormholes-
yours
doesn't" That sort of thing. This has been discussed a lot.

-Purpose? Will Space World be just to display creations and tell • stories?
Will there be interaction between moc's and stories? Will there be • Role
Playing involved? And so on...

Now some possible solutions:

-Name. This should not get in the way of the project. I'm sure we • can
easily
come to a conclusion on this.

Web Space. Heres what I propose. Lets not have one HUGE site with a • bunch
of
mocs and info and stories and such. What if we had a very small main • site.
This site would have basic info such as a good logo,  a description • of the
community's purpose, possibly a map of where ever the community is • (this
was
discussed as being like a "Void") and links to LUGNET and .space. • And
heres
where the possible solution comes in: Have the small main site have • links
other individual specialty/Subsites which are all maintained by a • different
person. These sites in turn have general info on their subject and • also a
list of links to FOL's sites pertaining to the topic. This means the • effort
of the whole project could be distributed among different people. • Here are
some Subsite ideas I thought of:

     -Story Subsite. This site could host Stories and have links to • sites
such as Tobias Moller's site: • http://m1.876.telia.com/~u87609425/hugo/

    -Character Subsite. A list of characters with small pictures and • brief
descriptions. These would in turn be linked to the creator's sites

     -Technology Subsite. Site focusing on different forms of • technology
in
Space World. Descriptions(with moc examples)of different types of
engines,FTL drives,life support,weapons,exploration...you name it.

    -Building Style/Tips/Ideas Subsite Info on how a particular • builder
likes to build. Tips for building big things. Tips for building • small
things. Building stories. (don't laugh) So and so on.

    -Corporation Subsite. Links to the different companies people • have
made
that make ships and such.

    -Possibly a general site with TEXT links to every known space • website
(I
know this is ambitious but I thought I'd mention it)

     -Space Station Subsite(could also include Bases)

     -Fighter Subsite

    -Big Ship Subsite -hey neat this one's already started ; )

    -Mecha Subsite

    -Microfig Subsite

-Fictional technology and story conflicts. I really don't think this • should
get in the way of this project. Thats about it.

-Purpose? I think initially it should be just what I put above. A • Subdivided
collection of links to FOL's websites. After this back bone is set • up then
interactivity can be discussed.

    Tell me what you think!

    -Jon
--