 Space / 40798
Re: NASA IS GOING BACK BABY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 03:07:38 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

LEO orbital velocity = Mach 25 or so. Ouch.

On the other hand "Space Ship One" already surpassed NASA in
efficiency with the use of a "carrier plane" to get a much
higher start.

Yep, but it came no where *near* orbital velocity - about a factor of 30 to low
in energy. I agree, it's a nice mechanism to get away from the atmosphere
problem, but so do balloons (for a far lower cost, actually). no offense to
Space Ship One, it's an amzing achivement... but it's not nearly a "spaceship"
as I usually think of them. "Encounter with Tiber" that I mentioned earlier has
a nice series of steps to get humans into space, that includes a much scaled up
version of the "piggyback" principle.

Eventually I can see tethers being the preferred method
of getting there but the inital construction would really
be far easier to "drop" the tether down to earth.

That's the only way to do it (you can't build them from the bottom up - "space
elevators" hang down, they are never in compression). But it doesn't
neccessarily take a bunch of rocket launches... IMS, a couple of Titan-class
(and this is before the upgraded Titan triple-core launchers) would do it for
the intial (very thin) cable, at which point you do build them from the bottom
up by adding strands with "spiders" or other climbers.

I prefer to see the station and the town/city, even though
the scale would be completly off.

Well, you could always have a multi-part MOC: base (perhaps with mountain or Sea
Launch like facility), spider part way up, and station (with asteroidal
counterweight if you wanted to go that way). Displayed together, they would make
a nice themed display, even if not technically one MOC (due to scale issues).
Actually, just talking about how looong are realistic MOC-scale space elevator
would be would be educational in itself (including the weight in LEGO
required... I should run some numbers).

--
Brian Davis