 Space / 40796
Re: NASA IS GOING BACK BABY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 00:02:40 GMT

In lugnet.space, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:
I did some preliminary studies for building a space elevator. I think with some
very significant selective compression of the diameter (and length) of the
cable, the anchor station and the cable cars could be done. I was considering
the LoM giant flex tubes for the cable for length, appearance, and toothed for a
geared cable car. But attaching them to one another being capable of supporting
much weight would be very hard. An internal metal cable or similar would is
recommended.

When I made the suggestion I was picturing a really long version of the 6394
Metro Park & Service Tower "elevator" mechanism. I guess it would work better to
use technic racks with a worm gear driven elevator.  That could even be
motorized.  My wife is gonna kill me if I start trying to build this. :-)

Similar feasability studies for building a borehole (ala Kim Stanley Robinson's
{Red Mars}) proved to be outside of my available budget of time, money and
square footage.

The Classic Space line was built upon the science and science fiction of the
time, an extension of the existing technology, with a lot of creative license
included as well. As space technology grows and changes direction, I think it is
appropriate for our MOCs, and LEGO sets to reflect that change. I eagerly await
7994-2 Space Elevator in 2016.

My hope will be as more and more private companies and individuals make space
travel possible, LEGO space will become more like the Ferrari line. Models of
the spaceships, with figs of the 'heros'.

That would be really cool.  I wouln't mind some 20-30ish dollar UCS style models
of real commerical space ships.  (Heck even the Star Wars UCS sets could  use
some smaller scale (and more affordable) models.)

-Mike Petrucelli