 Space / 39443
Re: Galaxy Defender - classic space MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:02:30 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Douglas R. Clark wrote:
   Hi,

This is my first lugnet post though I have been lurking for awhile. I thought I would share a MOC I recently created.

The Galaxy Defender is a Classic Space themed long endurance patrol/fighter craft. The general backstory is that this ship is a highly controversial replacement for the venerable 924 Space Cruiser. With the need to provide escorts to their long range exploration vessels, police the spacelanes for renegate pirate freighters and chase down beer smugglers, the Lego Classic Space Agency (LCSA) realized that their 924 space crusier was no longer up to the tasks being asked of it. This prototype was developed in secret. It was assigned the Space Cruiser’s LL924 designation to hide its development budget from the LCSA bean counters and civilian watchdog groups.

Its unveiling caused quite a controversy among the LCSA ranks and civilian government. Equiped with extremely powerful sub-light drives, ftl drive, advanced targeting and tracking electronics, 2 powerful blasters and 2 experimental mass-particle cannons, its military intent was quite clear. The ship has a high capacity life support system and andvanced A.I system to enable its use on long duration patrols with minimal pilot fatigue. The large wing panels and tail fins serve two purposes. They allow the craft to fulfill the LCSA’s trans-atmospheric and atmospheric flight performance requriements. They also provide excellent locations for the high-capacity radiators that are necessary to disapate the large amounts of heat generated by the engines, weapons and sensor systems.

Many of the scientists and government members were outraged that LCSA would invest its funds on a craft that is a pure assault craft with no provisions for scientific gear. Others expressed concern that posession of such a craft would cause an arms race with pirates and would actually lead to more aggressive attacks. Members of the LCSA simply respond that its their duty to protect their exploration craft and enforce the laws of the inter-system spacelanes and that such a craft is necessary. Full procurement is still being debated.

brickshelf folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=65371

Plese note that this is my first attempt at posting pictures online. I was experiementing with various settings on the camera in an attempt to get good images. I think I did OK, but next time I will use smaller image sizes.

builders notes: I was aiming for what a modern classic space set might look like. It uses mostly conventional construction tecniques with very little SNOT building. As a fighter/space craft I think it looks really good, but as a classic space set it is probably lacking in play-ability (lack of cargo compartments, rovers, etc). The only thing I am really disappointed with is the lack of landing gear. I suppose that I could make it classic-space authentic and just slap some landing posts on the bottom.

This model was based on a previous prototype that I had built and might post sometime. The influences should be fairly obvious. It has a little bit of the buck-rogers earth starfighter in it and I think the front half looks vaguely snowspeeder-ish. The inwardly canted tail fins, and overall wing shape really reminds me of the testors “f-19” stealth concept (released in the mid 80s-ish before the existence of the f-117 was officially acknowledged). Overall, I think it looks like something that might be a replacemnt for the y-wing in the starwars universe.

hope you all like it...

Doug!

Almost two years ago I downloaded a few pictures from your Brickshelf gallery with the express intent of adapting your designs and techniques, and I promptly lost track of this thread (and couldn’t find it again!)

I like everything about this ship. Classic Space was my first “theme” outside of Universal Building sets, so it always has a place in my heart. Even moreso when somebody’s creation expands so effectively on the style.

I like the in-sloped tail fins; I like the down-sloped wings; I like the ship-length cannons; I like the greebling; I like the engine design; I like the cockpit (including the rear-facing canopy); I like the use of the paired 3x6 slope bricks; I like the life-support design.

I like the overhead and profile views. Heck, I like the whole darned thing.

Sorry my reply is a little out of date!

Dave!